[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] LLD to be the default linker in Clang

Rui Ueyama via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 28 10:53:24 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 28 October 2016 at 18:12, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > It should be possible to search the path for ld.lld first, then ld,
> > but to me it seems like it will just be more confusing.
>
> Hum, for me it would be less confusing. :)
>
> GCC uses bfd by default, LLVM uses LLD. If you want to change, use
> -fuse-ld.
>
> What would be confusing in this scenario?

In practice, I think your proposal can be read for most people as a
proposal to do dogfooding LLD more widely in LLVM by making it the default
linker. I've been using LLD as default for a long period of time (probably
a year) and saw no problem. So it should be doable. Do people okay with
that? Probably, as long as it works, no one would really care, maybe?