[cfe-dev] compilation db question

Manuel Klimek via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 30 07:56:35 PST 2016

wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wrote a tool (Bear) which generates compilation database. A user feeds
> the output into a tool which is using Clang tooling libraries. <
> https://github.com/woboq/woboq_codebrowser/> He runs these tools again a
> project, which contains .s and .asm files. (These files are compiled as
> `clang -x assembler-with-cpp`)
>
> When the .s and .asm files are not in the compilation database, the
> codebrowser output is not complete. What I'm trying to figure out here, is
> it a legitimate compilation database which has .s or .asm files in it? Is
> it the responsibility of the tooling library to ignore/consider those
> entries even if those are not real compilations? If that's okay, why
> linking/preprocessing is not part of the compilation database too?
>
> Any help or pointer some documentation is appreciated.

The compilation database doesn't really say this, and I kept that
unspecified precisely so we could extend it later ;)
Preprocessing is not an extra step (at least in C++ afaiu it's very tightly
ingrained in the language), so I don't think pulling it out makes sense.
Linking might make sense to put in there, if somebody has a use case.

I'd generally say that tool infrastructure should be able to figure out
what the tool is interested in, so I'd file bugs / send patches where that
doesn't work out of the box.

Cheers,
/Manuel