[cfe-dev] Re-using 'dllexport' for non-Windows targets

Martin J. O'Riordan via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 30 06:38:17 PDT 2016

For our SHAVE target I have re-used '__attribute__((dllexport))' to allow me
to create indirect address tables for symbols with this annotation.

However, with almost every release of LLVM and CLang my implementation is
broken and I have to rework my implementation.  For the most part, the
existing 'dllexport' attribute does everything I require and makes more
sense for me to pass it through CLang/LLVM until it reaches our back-end
where it emits the IAT support rather than adding my own new attribute.

This got broken again with v3.8 and this time the controls are more strict
on Windows supporting targets.  I thought that before I go in an make
another set of changes to re-enable this with our target, that I would ask
first if there anybody has any advice or recommendation for how to "borrow"
this attribute for non-Windows targets?  The problem is principally CLang
rather than LLVM, so I would like to find a good and future-proof way of
adapting CLang to enable this attribute on my target.

Thanks in advance,

            MartinO

Martin J. O'Riordan                Email:  Martin.ORiordan at movidius.com
<mailto:Martin.ORiordan at movidius.com>

Compiler Development               Web:    www.movidius.com
<http://www.movidius.com/>

Movidius Ltd.                      Skype:  moviMartinO

1st Floor,  O'Connell Bridge House,  d'Olier Street,  Dublin 2, Ireland