[cfe-dev] RFC: Default language standard mode policy

Nico Weber via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 29 12:47:04 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Nico Weber <thakis at chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> For clang-cl, we should follow cl's model of selecting a standard. Before
>> C++17, this was "use newest language the compiler knows about" (keyed off
>> -fmsc-version; clang-cl detects the system msvc version by default if
>> that's not passed in). After C++17, there's an explicit language flag, and
>> we use the same default as cl.
>>

> Is that default something other than "the newest one"?

It looks like the next MSVC (which adds that flag) defaults to C++14. (See
majnemer's r273841 which implemented this in clang-cl, and
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2016/06/07/standards-version-switches-in-the-compiler/
)

> Last I checked (which was a while ago), libstdc++ didn't parse with
>> -std=c++14, at least at some version. I don't remember which version of
>> libstdc++ I tried (maybe 4.9?). Should that factor into the decision? Not
>> parsing standard library headers by default on Linux seems like a somewhat
>> suboptimal user experience.
>>

> Last time I looked into this, I saw only one problem with version 4.9:
> libc doesn't provide ::gets to C++14, and earlier versions of libstdc++
> assume it's there and do "namespace std { using ::gets; }". We can add a
> compatibility hack to clang to work around this.
>
> Note that at this point I'd like to mainly focus on what our policy should
> be;

Fair enough. I don't have a strong opinion on that; your proposal makes
sense to me. (Except for clang-cl, which I think needs to mirror what cl
does.)