[cfe-dev] RFC: Default language standard mode policy

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 29 12:25:16 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Nico Weber <thakis at chromium.org> wrote:

> For clang-cl, we should follow cl's model of selecting a standard. Before
> C++17, this was "use newest language the compiler knows about" (keyed off
> -fmsc-version; clang-cl detects the system msvc version by default if
> that's not passed in). After C++17, there's an explicit language flag, and
> we use the same default as cl.

Is that default something other than "the newest one"?

Last I checked (which was a while ago), libstdc++ didn't parse with
> -std=c++14, at least at some version. I don't remember which version of
> libstdc++ I tried (maybe 4.9?). Should that factor into the decision? Not
> parsing standard library headers by default on Linux seems like a somewhat
> suboptimal user experience.

Last time I looked into this, I saw only one problem with version 4.9: libc
doesn't provide ::gets to C++14, and earlier versions of libstdc++ assume
it's there and do "namespace std { using ::gets; }". We can add a
compatibility hack to clang to work around this.

Note that at this point I'd like to mainly focus on what our policy should
be; there are certainly technical challenges involved in actually applying
the policy (another one is that clang's test suite still has some failures
when the default is changed, but Charles Li has made tremendous headway on
this), and if we can't actually prepare for the transition in the C++
default in time for 3.9, then so be it.