[cfe-dev] Removal of built-ins

C Bergström via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 08:18:57 PDT 2016

Hi

Some recent commits are quite disturbing, but I can understand if it
was intentional..

This commit and it's message for example
https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang/commit/53a73530fec13416edeb495e6041b3b3e1340178

Taking one random built-in as an example
__builtin_ia32_storedqu

A quick google search using that as a keyword brings up a small
handful of source publicly available using it.

Removing the usage from the internal header implementation +1 , but
removing support for it entirely seems like a regression.
--------
Yes I know users should never use or count on __builtins but they do
sometimes.. Slightly less dangerous are intrinsics, which I thought
are the recommended way to give users as much control over the
generated code while not resorting to inline asm.

I think someone got over zealous.. or is it really the intention to
just break it?