[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC] Embedding Bitcode in Object Files

James Y Knight via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 5 14:14:59 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Steven Wu via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> "__LLVM, __cmdline" is used to store the clang command-line options.
> There are
> few options that are not reflected in the bitcode that we would like to
> replay in
> the rebuild. For example, '-O0' option makes us run FastISel during
> rebuild.

Without knowing more details of your implementation, I'd be concerned about
how this might impact deterministic/reproducible builds.

Source paths are recorded in a number of places, but you can typically fix
that by using -fdebug-prefix-map. But if the entire command-line including
the -fdebug-prefix-map argument gets stored in the output too, then you
still have a problem.