[cfe-dev] Making MSAN Easier to Use: Providing a Sanitized Libc++

Jonathan Roelofs via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 15 14:34:18 PDT 2016

On 8/15/16 1:51 PM, Hal Finkel wrote:
> [...]
I think the minimum set would be Address (which includes Leak),

I would like to propose the driver option '-fsanitize-stdlib' and

For example, what happens when a program links to both a sanitized

>>> I'm not sure that's true; there's no property of the environment
>>> that determines which library path you need. As a practical
>>> matter, I can't set $PLATFORM and/or $LIB in my rpath and have
>>> ld.so do the right thing in this context. Moreover, it is really
>>> a property of how you compiled, so I think using an alternate
>>> library name is natural.
>>
>> Multilibs solve exactly the problem of "it's a property of how you
>> compiled". The thing that's subtly different here is that the
>> usual thing that people do with multilibs is to provide ABI
>> incompatible versions of the same library (which are made
>> incompatible via compiler flags, -msoft-float, for example),
>> whereas these libraries just so happen to be ABI compatible with
>> their non-instrumented variants.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about $PLATFORM and
>> $LIB, but I /think/ it's a red herring: the compiler takes care of
>> adding in the multilib suffixes where appropriate, so shouldn't the
>> answer to "which library do I stick in the rpath?" include said
>> suffix (when compiled with Eric's proposed flag)?
>
> I'm not sure what color herring it is ;) -- I'm trying to understand
> the system you're proposing:
>
> 1. User A compiles/installs Clang/LLVM/libc++ on system A in
> /local/clang, and so we get a /local/clang/lib/libc++.so and a
> /local/clang/lib/msan/libc++.so. User A compiles a program, foo, with
> msan enabled, and foo gets an rpath of /local/clang/lib/msan. User A
> also compiles another program, prod, without any sanitizers, and
> those get an rpath of /local/clang/lib.
>
> 2. User B compiles/installs Clang/LLVM/libc++ on system B in
> /soft/clang, and so we get a /soft/clang/lib/libc++.so and a
> /soft/clang/lib/msan/libc++.so. User A sends User B the executables
> foo and prod. Those executables have rpaths with /local/clang/...,
> but those don't help User B. User B has an environment with
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/soft/clang/lib so that the executables compiled by
> User A will run.
>
> 3. User B has no good option, because if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to
> /soft/clang/lib, then prod will behave as expected (i.e. not be
> sanitized), but foo will not. If LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to
> /soft/clang/lib/msan, then foo will be sanitized as expected, but
> prod will run slower than usual.

Ahhh, I see. I was imagining this sort use case:

first_guy$ cat lib.h
extern void lib_func();

first_guy$ cat lib.c
#include "lib.h"

#include <stdio.h>

void lib_func() {
   printf("In %s\n", MESSAGE);
}
first_guy$ cat bin.c
#include "lib.h"

int main() {
   lib_func();
}
first_guy$ mkdir -p lib/sanitized
first_guy$ clang lib.c -shared -DMESSAGE="\"sanitized\"" -o
lib/sanitized/library.so
first_guy$ clang lib.c -shared -DMESSAGE="\"production\"" -o lib/library.so
first_guy$ clang bin.c -lrary -Wl,-rpath,$PWD/lib -L./lib/sanitized/ -o
sanitized
first_guy$ clang bin.c -lrary -Wl,-rpath,$PWD/lib -L./lib/ -o production
first_guy$ ./sanitized
In sanitized
first_guy$ ./production
In production
first_guy$ mkdir ../other_guy
first_guy$ cd ../other_guy/
other_guy$ cp ../first_guy/sanitized .
other_guy$ cp ../first_guy/production .
other_guy$ cp -r ../first_guy/lib .
other_guy$ ./sanitized
In sanitized
other_guy$ ./production
In production
other_guy$ rm lib/library.so
other_guy$ ln -s ../lib/sanitized/library.so lib/library.so
other_guy$ ./production
In sanitized
other_guy$ ./sanitized
In sanitized