[cfe-dev] Making MSAN Easier to Use: Providing a Sanitized Libc++

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 15 12:51:14 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jonathan Roelofs" <jonathan at codesourcery.com>

I'm not sure what color herring it is ;) -- I'm trying to understand the system you're proposing:

 1. User A compiles/installs Clang/LLVM/libc++ on system A in /local/clang, and so we get a /local/clang/lib/libc++.so and a /local/clang/lib/msan/libc++.so. User A compiles a program, foo, with msan enabled, and foo gets an rpath of /local/clang/lib/msan. User A also compiles another program, prod, without any sanitizers, and those get an rpath of /local/clang/lib.

 2. User B compiles/installs Clang/LLVM/libc++ on system B in /soft/clang, and so we get a /soft/clang/lib/libc++.so and a /soft/clang/lib/msan/libc++.so. User A sends User B the executables foo and prod. Those executables have rpaths with /local/clang/..., but those don't help User B. User B has an environment with LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/soft/clang/lib so that the executables compiled by User A will run.

 3. User B has no good option, because if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to /soft/clang/lib, then prod will behave as expected (i.e. not be sanitized), but foo will not. If LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to /soft/clang/lib/msan, then foo will be sanitized as expected, but prod will run slower than usual.

 4. User B compiles programs to send to User A. User A then sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /local/clang/lib. User A has the same problem as User B, and moreover, if User A compiles using -W,--enable-new-dtags, then the linker will use DT_RUNPATH (instead of, or in addition to, DT_RPATH; effect is the same), which is the recommended default on many systems, the rpath scheme won't even work for User A on User A's own executables (because LD_LIBRARY_PATH overrides DT_RUNPATH).

There are a few things, other than pure directory paths, that can appear in, or otherwise affect, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and DT_RPATH/DT_RUNPATH, but I don't think any of them help us here:

 1. Pseudo variables $ORIGIN, $LIB and $PLATFORM - These are expanded by ld.so based on properties of the current execution environment (e.g. whether you're loading a 32-bit or 64-bit executable, the hardware architecture).

 2. Hardware-capability strings - There are a fixed set of hardware capabilities, such as sse, sse2, altivec, etc. that are appended to the directory name to form alternate search paths.

 3. The multilib suffix. This, AFAIK, is baked into the dynamic loader. The path to the loader itself has the multilib suffix, and that's specified in PT_INTERP.

Unfortunately, I don't think that any of these help us.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist