[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] LLVM IRC channel flooded?

James Y Knight jyknight at google.com
Thu May 21 15:27:57 PDT 2015

Huh. I used to run a buildbot system for a different project, on an ancient version of buildbot: 0.7.3 (which was current at the time I set it up, and I never upgraded it, since it was internal, and working just fine). That version doesn't even have a feature to throw away old state, and the buildmaster had build columns with 10000 builds worth of history in them, with no apparent issues. Now certainly LLVM's buildbot has many more builders (I only had ~10, vs LLVM's ~80), but unless the current version performs much worse than the old version (might be the case!), or the machine it's running on is much slower than the one I had (dunno!), it seems surprising that it starts falling over after only 500 builds worth of history.

I think that version read all the build-state pickle files at startup and just kept it in memory. If that's changed, and it hits all the build-state pickle files on every page load, that would seem an unfortunate change.