[cfe-dev] LLVM IRC channel flooded?

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Tue May 19 10:42:01 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Chris Matthews <chris.matthews at apple.com>
wrote:

> If “flooding” is the issue, the only long term solution is to A) have a
> bot channel that can be flooded or B) curate the list of bots which notify
> IRC.

Alternatively: The phased builder approach Apple was upstreaming for a
while that seemed to get stalled at some point.

Or a pseudo-phased system: Have builders that do "interesting" things not
fail (but simply warn/no-result) when early steps fail (I've wanted/meant
to do this with the GDB buildbot for example: I don't care if LLVM fails to
compile on that buildbot, I know other bots will catch it - so I'd be happy
to mark that as a warning/do-not-continue rather than
error/do-not-continue, then just carry on with the next run). You miss the
efficiency gains of a phased builder, but you get the same reduced
noise/spam.

- David