[cfe-dev] Clang version numbers

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 09:05:49 PST 2015

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 8:51 AM, Robert Ankeney <rrankene at gmail.com> wrote:

> Trunk is always "the next version", 3.6 is whatever is built from 3.6
> branch.
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Robert Ankeney <rrankene at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why is the current build calling itself 3.7.0? Since 3.6 was just
> > released, it seems it should be called 3.6.0 or something less confusing.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Robert
> >

> As a user, I find this confusing. The next version could easily be 3.6.1.
> If someone gave me the current release today and I wanted to see what
> features this 3.7 contained, I would quickly discover that 3.6 was the
> current version, and would find this version suspect (unless it came from a
> Time Lord). If I searched after the formal release of 3.7, I would expect
> the 3.7 features listed and bugs corrected shown in the release notes to
> exist in this version. What would be less confusing to me would something
> like calling the current version 3.6.1, where an odd last digit implied an
> interim version, and an even last digit an actual release.

3.6.1 is branched off off 3.6, not off trunk - what's happening on trunk
will only ever be seen in 3.7, not in any point release, etc. (well, not
quite the whole story, of course - bug fixes in 3.6.1 are generally
backported to trunk for 3.7 if they're still applicable (in some cases
trunk has diverged/fixed the bug in some other way instead))