[cfe-dev] Command line compiler options

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Wed Jun 17 21:47:08 PDT 2015

On 6/17/2015 10:42 AM, mats petersson wrote:
> As my previous comment said, I'm not entirely sure that simply having
> command line options documented is sufficient to solve the type or
> problem that (I think) you are trying to solve: What options does
> compiler version X, Y and Z support, and what option do I need to use to
> get access to compiler feature F, G or H. Because, as I said, compiler
> option may say "-std=support for C++11" (or C99, or whatever), but it
> doesn't mean that a particular version FULLY supports that standard
> (unless you are actually expecting something like "-std=C++11 enabled
> C++11 standard complience - version X supports all C++11 features
> {,except} [list of features {,not} supported]".

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a given version of a compiler
to state somewhere in its documentation what it means when it says that
C++11 is supported.

> I'm not saying the current documentation is great, but I'm not sue that
> your quest will immediately be solved by having better documentation of
> the command line options alone. You still need to read other
> documentation items to understand exactly what is supported and what is not.

Agreed.

> And even then you still have the issue that "feature X is supported" in
> the documentation, but due to some bug or limitation in the compiler,
> stuff doesn't work. So to say that "compiler version X works for <my
> source>" will still be dependent on testing with EXACTLY compiler
> version X in some way, to ensure that for all supported targets, for all
> supported options, the code generated by the compiler works correctly.
> This is very hard to maintain good test coverage on, and gets
> increasingly worse with the number of supported configurations...

Agreed. But testing something is my responsibility as an end-user which
I accept. Having documentation which tells me what things mean to the
compiler, aka a command-line compiler option, is the responsibility of
those who create the compiler. I don't see how an end-user can use a
product successfully if the basic documentation of what things mean
becomes guesswork.

I realize that clang is usable even when there are areas of the
documentation which are poorly explained. But ask yourself whether it
would not be easier for developers if they did not have to answer
questions about the compiler from users because the documentation is
non-existent or poor.

I know of no other C++ compiler where the basic documentation regarding
command-line options is so poor. And yet technically clang is a leading
compiler. I would think this might be cause for concern among clang
developers.