[cfe-dev] Command line compiler options

mats petersson mats at planetcatfish.com
Wed Jun 17 07:42:11 PDT 2015

As my previous comment said, I'm not entirely sure that simply having
command line options documented is sufficient to solve the type or problem
that (I think) you are trying to solve: What options does compiler version
X, Y and Z support, and what option do I need to use to get access to
compiler feature F, G or H. Because, as I said, compiler option may say
"-std=support for C++11" (or C99, or whatever), but it doesn't mean that a
particular version FULLY supports that standard (unless you are actually
expecting something like "-std=C++11 enabled C++11 standard complience -
version X supports all C++11 features {,except} [list of features {,not}
supported]".

I'm not saying the current documentation is great, but I'm not sue that
your quest will immediately be solved by having better documentation of the
command line options alone. You still need to read other documentation
items to understand exactly what is supported and what is not.

And even then you still have the issue that "feature X is supported" in the
documentation, but due to some bug or limitation in the compiler, stuff
doesn't work. So to say that "compiler version X works for <my source>"
will still be dependent on testing with EXACTLY compiler version X in some
way, to ensure that for all supported targets, for all supported options,
the code generated by the compiler works correctly. This is very hard to
maintain good test coverage on, and gets increasingly worse with the number
of supported configurations...

--
Mats