[cfe-dev] Retrieving the element to be casted in "ExplicitCastExpr

Pedro Delgado Perez pedro.delgadoperez at mail.uca.es
Tue Jan 27 03:52:04 PST 2015

Hi, I've been trying lots of things to solve this problem, but I have not found the solution yet.
Nobody has encountered this problem before?

In the program I am developing, I search for "ExplicitCastExpr" because I need to print the elements which are being casted. If the program retrieves this expression:

static_cast<KWriteApp *>(kapp);

what I want to print is "kapp".

However, I have found a problem in that situation:
- kapp is defined as:
#define kapp KApplication::kApplication()

- This is the AST of that expression:

-CXXStaticCastExpr 0x4fcc118 <col:10, col:39> 'class KWriteApp *' static_cast<class KWriteApp *> <BaseToDerived (KApplication)>
|      `-CallExpr 0x4fcc0e0 </usr/include/KDE/../kapplication.h:56:14, col:41> 'class KApplication *'
|        `-ImplicitCastExpr 0x4fcc0c8 <col:14, col:28> 'class KApplication *(*)(void)' <FunctionToPointerDecay>
|          `-DeclRefExpr 0x4fcc068 <col:14, col:28> 'class KApplication *(void)' lvalue CXXMethod 0x7f4c9d3c2fe0 'kApplication' 'class KApplication *(void)'

As you can observe, "kapp" does not appear explicitly in the tree.
When in my program I invoke "getSubExpr()" (from the object containing the "ExplicitCastExpr") to obtain and print "kapp":

     SourceRange r = SourceRange(
                                       FS2->getSubExpr()->getSourceRange().getBegin(),
                                       FS2->getSubExpr()->getSourceRange().getEnd()
                            );
     string element_casted = Rewrite.getRewrittenText(r);

However, the range of the expression is empty. I have also tried with "getSubExprAsWritten()" but it makes no difference. This is the first time I have found a problem with the solution that I had implemented.

The question is:
How could I simply obtain what is being casted as it is written in the code? I do not refer only to this specific case, but a way to achieve my goal in general because I cannot understand this situation.

Thanks in advance.