[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: Dropping support for building sanitizers with autotools

Bob Wilson bob.wilson at apple.com
Tue Feb 17 17:39:07 PST 2015

> On Feb 17, 2015, at 4:09 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Anna Zaks <ganna at apple.com <mailto:ganna at apple.com>> wrote:
> Unfortunately, we do rely on the Autotools to build for darwin.
>
> The lack of proper testing is very unfortunate.
>
> This isn't just "proper testing". This is any testing at all. I have to guess that you're not using it for *development*, just using it as part of some release process build system?
>
> If that's the case, I think it would be better for you to maintain whatever you need to support that in the interim out-of-tree. If the tests don't run, I don't think it's really reasonable to keep a build system in tree and expect open source contributors to update it and keep it working. How will they even know if it is working? We don't even have build bots that cover it as far as I know? (If we do, that somewhat lessens this pain…)

We do have buildbots, e.g.:
http://lab.llvm.org:8080/green/view/Clang/job/clang-stage1-configure-RA_build/ <http://lab.llvm.org:8080/green/view/Clang/job/clang-stage1-configure-RA_build/>

> In the future, we will either drop the dependency on Makefile/autoconf build or add the support for sanitizer testing.
>
> Given the push to move away from autotools altogether, it would seem really weird to add support for testing to it rather than migrating the dependency away. You can even use the cmake build *from* an autoconf/Makefile setup by running cmake directly. It's a bit annoying, but it can be done.

There are still a lot of issues blocking full CMake equivalence with autoconf/Makefile (PR15732). Removing the ASan makefile support is really premature.