[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: Dropping support for building sanitizers with autotools

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Feb 17 16:09:01 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Anna Zaks <ganna at apple.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, we do rely on the Autotools to build for darwin.
>
> The lack of proper testing is very unfortunate.

This isn't just "proper testing". This is any testing at all. I have to
guess that you're not using it for *development*, just using it as part of
some release process build system?

If that's the case, I think it would be better for you to maintain whatever
you need to support that in the interim out-of-tree. If the tests don't
run, I don't think it's really reasonable to keep a build system in tree
and expect open source contributors to update it and keep it working. How
will they even know if it is working? We don't even have build bots that
cover it as far as I know? (If we do, that somewhat lessens this pain...)

In the future, we will either drop the dependency on Makefile/autoconf
> build or add the support for sanitizer testing.

Given the push to move away from autotools altogether, it would seem really
weird to add support for testing to it rather than migrating the dependency
away. You can even use the cmake build *from* an autoconf/Makefile setup by
running cmake directly. It's a bit annoying, but it can be done.