[cfe-dev] RFC: switch default C language mode from gnu99 to gnu11

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Oct 16 16:15:06 PDT 2014

On Oct 16, 2014, at 1:29 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I suspect that: (a) the ones we want to run in all modes is "all tests, unless otherwise specified",
>
> I'm not sure why. CodeGen certainly doesn't seem very interesting here?
>
> and (b) it is too expensive to do so by default (it would increase our testing time by probably around 4x).
>
> I'm not sure it would.

The question isn’t the absolute amount of time it adds, the question is whether the added time is paid for by additional bugs found.  I can’t imagine that testing all tests as C11 and C99 would find many bugs.  The standards are too similar, and therefore doing this by default would just be a waste of testing time.

-Chris