[cfe-dev] RFC: switch default C language mode from gnu99 to gnu11

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Oct 16 16:14:12 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> I'm claiming that (1) getting coverage is probably important, and (2)
> figuring out which tests to run will probably result in "all tests that
> don't specify otherwise".

If all of these tests are really important to be running in all of the
modes, then all of the developers should be running them in those modes
too. I'm really concerned about increasing significantly how many different
ways a developer is expected to test their code prior to submission. It
makes the entire development process a lot more hazy, and it is already
hazy due to portability issues and the runtime testing of the test suite.