[cfe-dev] anyone knows the current state of libc++ on windows?

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Thu May 8 10:08:27 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 5:24 AM, Yaron Keren <yaron.keren at gmail.com> wrote:

> clang can function in two different modes on Windows, MinGW compatible or
> Visual C++ compatible.
> The object formats are not compatible.

I think I know what you mean, but I wanted to clarify it a bit.

MinGW and MSVC differ only in the C++ ABI and in passing structs by value
in C.  If you limit yourself to COM or extern "C" interfaces that don't
pass things by value, you can link object code from all three compilers,
MSVC, GCC, and Clang, together and it will work.  Obviously, this is too
limiting for many users, so Clang has support for both MinGW and MSVC C++
ABIs now.

Is there some other object file level incompatibility that I'm forgetting,
like differing .drectve contents?