[cfe-dev] scan-build in python

Tue Aug 26 07:12:54 PDT 2014

hi Jordan,

thanks for your message. most of these could have said before. maybe on
that 'open project' page. ;)

to address some of your concerns. i also would explain where i am, and
where i'm heading to with this... first, i'm learning the python language
with this task. therefore i'm thinking about myself as a newbie and i
believe the code i'm writing is not that hard to read for other less
experienced python developers... part of it, i'm interested how to write
code in this new foreign language which is testable. (and for example, this
was the reason why i choose continuations instead of simple method calls or
class+methods. i found it as a good compromise between simple and testable.)

about the compilation database issue: the current implementation does a lot
of things at once. i would rather separate the major parts... and i wanted
to do the rewrite in 3 steps... the 1st step (i've finished already)
rewrote the 'ccc-analyzer' to python, which is able to work with the perl
version of 'scan-build'. to keep the original borderlines between processes
let me check it to produce the exact same output... currently i'm working
on the 2nd step, when 'scan-build' is replaced by 'beye' working from
compilation database. this already diverge from the original at many
places. (i consider those as improvements :)) depending my other
activities, this might be finished soon... at the 3rd step, would add a
compilation database generator to mimic the original behavior. i already
have a project (called 'bear') which does this job. and with a lot of help
from other people, managed to became stable, did ported to many OSes and
well distributed. my plan to integrate 'bear' (rewrite some C code to
python) with 'beye' to make a full replacement for 'scan-build'. this way
the Clang project would win -not only a rewrite, but- a compilation
database generator.

about distribution: my plan to create a python package... found that LLVM
'lit' command is also a standalone python package, integrated into the LLVM
source tree. but also available on PyPI. (i'm using the PyPI package at
travis.ci jobs, since many distro packages does not install it.)

to not make it longer, would summarize how am i targeting those goals you
mentioned. please recommend me other ways if you can... to re-use the
'scan-build' parts to be able to check any project with any build system:
no. i would reuse the 'bear' parts, since that covers better the build
systems... to be able to work with any build system: yes...
maintainability: i'm writing unit tests and have a small amount of
functional tests (these are not yet checked in). using 'pep8' tool to be
conform with python style. and i'm trying my best to write documentation...
easy to distribute: using travis-ci to check it works on many python
versions (2.7, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 are currently targeted). create PyPI
package is planed... about multiple files and/or using classes instead of
passing dictionaries to methods, i am open for those if that helps in any
way. :)

did not wanted to be this long. would not make more noise on this mailing
list about it. wanted to come back when i'm finished... till then i'm
collecting my questions/comments on the github issue tracker. feel free to
answer anywhere. ;)

regards,
Laszlo