[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] [RFC] Raising LLVM minimum required MSVC version to 2013 for trunk

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Sat Aug 23 17:57:50 PDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Richard Gorton <rcgorton at cog-e.com> wrote:

> The 'technical question at hand' is a case of whining about how Micro$lop
> tools are broken and that we should adjust our behavior to conform to their
> idiocy.  I'm being extremely polite.  If you want to use MSVC, fine.  Go do
> so.  But QUIT trying to turn LLVM into an MSVC replacement.

This email is not a particularly polite email. Goofy names do not make good
technical arguments.

There are a lot of users of LLVM and Clang. Some would like to use these
libraries on Windows in projects built with MSVC. The developers working on
these projects (I work mostly on LLVM these days, but used to hack on
Clang) decided that was a reasonable thing to support, and so we do. That
is the nature of an open source project.

There are also a lot of users that would like to use Clang as C++ compiler
on Windows. At least some of them would like to use it on their projects
currently built with MSVC. We decided to support them as well.

I'm not aware that we've stopped supporting other users by doing this, and
so I don't know why any of our users would object to this support becoming
available. So I don't think we've hurt our users in any way by pursuing
this, but feel free to file bugs if there are problems with Clang that are
impacting your use of it either as a collection of libraries or as a C++
compiler.

However, if you just want to influence the direction and strategy of the
open source project, you'll probably need to become a significant
contributor to it. Generally speaking, open source projects' direction are
determined by what direction the contributors want to take it.

Either way, I won't respond to this thread of discussion again. I encourage
you and everyone else to do the same. We should go back to discussing the
practical matter of what version of MSVC we support as a host compiler.