[cfe-dev] [RFC] A proposal for #pragma optnone

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Apr 29 13:06:36 PDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:

> I find the debugging session and binary search use cases fairly
> compelling.  It's nice to be able to change one source file and disable
> optimizations without hacking the build system.

I must be the only person that doesn't think this is useful, but fine, I'll
live. Thanks for others expressing that this is more generally useful.

> I think reducing the proliferation of pragmas is a good thing, so let's
> implement the GCC syntax.  We can add support for the MSVC syntax later.
>  We probably want to defer that because the primary use case for it is
> working around MSVC miscompiles.

Why doesn't this logic apply to both? I don't *really* care how it is
spelled (I agree with Renato that we can discourage it regardless) I'm just
not sure that the concern of existing usage primarily working around
compiler-specific miscompiles is MSVC specific.