[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Sun Oct 27 23:03:27 PDT 2013

On 27 October 2013 21:13, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:

> I think that just establishing a floor on the problem (a soft one, which
> naturally has to be interpreted based on the realities at the time) is the
> best first step. I *don't* want to lose the ability to host LLVM and Clang
> with reasonably modern C++ toolchains that are not Clang-derived. I *do*
> want to set expectations with clear guidelines for what we consider
> "reasonably modern" to be.

I couldn't agree more.

My jump the gun moment was due to the fact that I always estimate
minimum/expected/maximum outcomes, to make sure they follow a nice linear
scale with respect to features/work/cost/time. Having the "previous
support" as standard would be a maximum, in a world where Clang/LLVM is the
de-facto standard on all platforms. It'll never happen, but it's a
direction that would bring nice surrounding improvements if pursued.

cheers,
--renato