[cfe-dev] "clang.org"

Yaron Keren yaron.keren at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 02:57:27 PST 2013

While building llvm/clang from sources is entirely feasible, it requires
setting up a non-trivial build environment, especially on Windows. The
recently posted instructions setting up a windows builder summarize the
process very well and show what's involved.

If we'd like to make clang a popular compiler (as it should!) this process
in unreasonable. Someone wishing to just use clang wants a simple one-click
solution and not a process setting it up. If not clang, he'll find his one
click solution either with Visual C++ Express free edition or one of the
MingW distributions.

The standard is to have a big DOWNLOAD button featured on the front page.
This leads directly to the Windows installer (one-click!) or at most to a
list of the last stable version pre-built binaries with the Windows as the
default.
Why Windows? because that's what Windows users are expecting.
In other OS downloading sources and configure/make is reasonable as 1) the
users are usually more knowledgeable and 2) the build environment is mostly
(all?) ready. Not so with Windows.

The downloading process should be EZ : mindless and requires as few clicks
as possible. Some practical examples are:

http://www.eclipse.org/
https://netbeans.org/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/

additional non-links should lead to development (ToT) pre-built binaries,
web browsable sources and svn/git instructions. It is also be nice to have
downloadable sources as tar/zip such as available on some sites as for some
users installing svn/git may be a showstopper.

Specifically, on the current llvm site, the download link should be more
prominent. It should list the pre-built binaries at first. It should link
to the Windows pre-built binaries which currently are well hidden on the
alpha site. Then it should also link to ToT ("Development") binaries and
only finally to source codes and build instructions.

Yaron