[cfe-dev] [RFC] Removing libclang APIs to traverse the comment AST

Alex Turbov i.zaufi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 20:42:27 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Sean Silva <silvas at purdue.edu> wrote:

> Do we have no users? :(
>
> This is a huge API surface area that is being ripped out. The cries of
> even a single user that depends on this will forever shatter all confidence
> in LLVM's C API stability promise. (also, btw, I wouldn't expect a user of
> a stable API to be subscribed to the developer's mailing list of the
> project...; that is a key difference between a stable API and a "no
> backwards compatibility; the onus is on you to be aware of what is
> happening in the codebase" API).

+1
I'm the user of that API... (yep, I'm subscribed to the dev list :)

> If these API's are deprecated (later to be removed) please write a
> migration guide to help existing users transition to the new recommended
> approach (also, it would be nice to have some documentation about what the
> recommended approach even is!). Can you estimate the expected development
> cost required to transition from the old API to the recommended API? (for
> example, what if bunding an XML library is not feasible for a user that
> depends on this functionality?)

agreed. personally I don't want to link w/ any XML lib... it was quite
enough (moreover, it is desired) to have an access to plain text
comments... I don't want any XML, cuz extracted comments get indexed for
further full-text search... and having XML here is completely harmful and
undesired...