[cfe-dev] Clang-format Visual Studio extension binary releases

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Tue Nov 12 08:40:19 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Alp Toker <alp at nuanti.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 15:47, Manuel Klimek wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the clang-format VS extension now supports VS 2010-2013. Unfortunately
> > this comes at the price of needing VS 2010 for maintenance; as I
> > assume we don't want to force anybody to install VS 2010, I'd propose
> > to check a binary release of the extension into clang-format-vs/ (it's
> > < 30KB, so no size worries). I'm happy to do so and built binary
> > releases going forward, if nobody objects...
> >
> > Thoughts?
> > /Manuel
>
> What benefit does it bring to check this into the source tree?
>
> This can just go on the downloads page unless there's a specific use
> case for keeping build outputs in immutable SVN/git history.
>
> I'm guessing the VS2012+ solution upgrader doesn't deal with it?

Hah, apparently that works.
I initially didn't try because I wasn't able to get the original project to
work with VS 2010, but re-creating it in VS 2010 made it work, so I thought
it's a limitation of VS. But it looks like during the upgrade VS added some
magic incantations to the project files, so we can now build a backwards
compatible version with 2012. Yay!

Cheers,
/Manuel