[cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Fri Nov 8 08:49:57 PST 2013

Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> writes:

> The overwhelming majority of contributors and users of trunk seem to
> be fine with this, so while I'm interested in anything we can do to
> make it easier for you, unless we see significantly more concerns
> about this plan, I think we should move forward.
>
> Fundamentally, we aren't going to be able to make everyone happy. Some
> people will be seriously inconvenienced by this, but thus far the
> benefit seems to significantly outweigh the cost.

But the benefit is still there even if it takes a month or two longer.

This is a *serious* issue.  It doesn't seem like people really
comprehend the challenges of upgrading toolchains in large software
projects.  We're talking about millions and millions of lines of code
spread out over many independent modules.  These all have to fit
together to create a usable tool.

What is so hard about waiting an extra month to give people a chance to
test the new toolchain?

> That said, while I'm about to commit the change to the release notes
> and send a summary email to the dev lists, we should continue
> discussing this. Nothing is going to be set in stone until the 3.4
> release goes out, and maybe not even then. Especially if you or others
> want to discuss this with me in person (or others in person) at the
> dev meeting, I'm writing this email from the hacking session. =] Happy
> to chat.

I'm not going to be at the dev meeting.

                         -David