[cfe-dev] RFC: A proposal to move toward using C++11 features in LLVM & Clang / bounding support for old host compilers

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Nov 6 16:20:24 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM, <dag at cray.com> wrote:

> Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com> writes:
> > So far, I'm not hearing any significant objections.
> >
> > I'm going to put the plan of record about this into the release notes,
> > and I'll write up a blog post about it and do some other things which
> > will likely make enough noise to ensure we aren't missing people's
> > objections over the next few weeks. (Maybe at the dev meeting! ;]) By
> > the time we go to branch the release, we should know if there are any
> > latent concerns from folks.
>
> I'm fine with the general plan but I do want to see a longer notice
> period for toolchain changes on trunk.  1-2 months is too short.

The overwhelming majority of contributors and users of trunk seem to be
fine with this, so while I'm interested in anything we can do to make it
easier for you, unless we see significantly more concerns about this plan,
I think we should move forward.

Fundamentally, we aren't going to be able to make everyone happy. Some
people will be seriously inconvenienced by this, but thus far the benefit
seems to significantly outweigh the cost.

That said, while I'm about to commit the change to the release notes and
send a summary email to the dev lists, we should continue discussing this.
Nothing is going to be set in stone until the 3.4 release goes out, and
maybe not even then. Especially if you or others want to discuss this with
me in person (or others in person) at the dev meeting, I'm writing this
email from the hacking session. =] Happy to chat.

-Chandler

PS: I've seen the other emails as well, and will be trying to reply to them
as I get time over this week.