[cfe-dev] Clang command line options

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Wed Feb 6 18:58:45 PST 2013

Short answer: <stdarg.h> is not found in that directory.

Long answer: Clang (and the clang libraries) looks for <stdarg.h> and
(other compiler-provided headers) in a hardcoded directory relative the the
current executable. If your executable is not sitting inside alongside
clang inside a clang installation dir or build dir, then the hardcoded path
that it looks for won't contain the right headers (if your tool is in such
a directory, then I have probably misdiagnosed your issue; I apologize).
This has been a pain point for a long time and needs to be fixed, but we
have not reached a consensus about the best way to go about it. <
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/FAQ.html> will give you some insight into the
issue.

Dmitri, could you please update/rework <http://clang.llvm.org/docs/FAQ.html>
so that it covers the way that madil90 has posed this question (regardless
of whether or not I diagnosed this issue correctly)? Maybe we should have a
dedicated question `why does clang not find some headers like "stddef.h" or
"stdarg.h"`? The content should be written to fill the use case where we
reply to these built-in header questions by just linking to the FAQ and
have that give the user a useful understanding of the issue (and what they
can do about it, and that they are not alone).

-- Sean Silva