[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] [Announcement] 3.3 Release Planning!

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 02:24:13 PDT 2013

On 1 Apr 2013, at 22:05, Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> wrote:

> • MacOS X (x86)
> • Linux (Ubuntu - x86)
> • FreeBSD (x86)
> • Windows (experimentally)
>
> We would like to support ARM again. Also, there has been significant improvements on other platforms. The only thing keeping us from releasing binaries for non-Intel platforms is a phalanx of testers for those platforms. The more testers we have, the better.

We are currently in the process of switching FreeBSD/ARM over to clang.  We will certainly do testing, but I'm not sure it's worth LLVM shipping binaries, as clang 3.3 will be the system compiler and clang trunk is available in ports.

We'd also like to switch MIPS and PowerPC soon, but I believe there are still some minor issues with PowerPC and more significant ones in MIPS, so that's probably more in the 3.4 timeframe.

> It's probably best to produce the binaries on a Cortex-A9 (Panda ES), since they're the most common target and the binaries work quite well on A15s.

We still support Cortex-A8 platforms, and one of the most widely deployed ARM platforms for us at the moment is the Raspberry Pi, which is ARM11.  I have one sitting on my desk doing nothing at the moment, which could probably be hooked up to the network and used for LLVM builds, although a clean build will probably take about 24 hours on it.

David