[cfe-dev] RFC: put commit messages in *-commits subject lines?

Sebastian Pop spop at codeaurora.org
Fri Nov 30 10:49:34 PST 2012

David Blaikie wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Sebastian Pop <spop at codeaurora.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sebastian Pop wrote:

> >> commit_subject_template = %(prefix)s r%(revision)s - %(log)s
> >
> > I just realized that this line does not match Chris' subject line as it doesn't
> > print the directories touched by the patch. Please use the following instead:
> >
> > commit_subject_template = %(prefix)s r%(revision)s - [%(dirs)s] %(log)s
>
> For what it's worth, (I think) Chris' suggestion of including the
> directories was about including them "smart"ly by removing conceptual
> duplicates (lib/foo + include/foo + test/foo) and generally giving a
> brief sense of what a change is touching. If the change you have adds
> the full (repo-relative) path all the directories without any smart
> deduplication then I suspect it's going to easily push the log
> description off most mail readers (especially mobile) & reduce the
> value of this change.
>
> I suspect we'll want to just stick with revision + log for now.

That's fine.  Alternatively we can provide a list of all the dirs that we want
to see appearing and match them like this:

for_paths = .*(?P<SelectDirs>(lib/Analysis|lib/Transforms/Vectorize|lib/Transforms/Scalar)).*

commit_subject_template = %(prefix)s r%(revision)s - [%(SelectDirs)s] %(log)s

> What's the prefix? There was some discussion of dropping the
> [cfe-commits] & similar prefixes. Can that be done? Do we need to get
> more buy-in from mailing list users to make sure this won't break
> their mail rules (there are other ways to identify mailing list mail
> other than the prefix, but I'm just checking).
>
> Do you have some examples of what the format you're suggesting would
> look like for various real-world commits?

I suppose that the current subject format is the default of svn-mailer that is
from the documentation:

 	%(prefix)s r%(revision)s %(part)s - %(files/dirs)s

I think that this matches exactly what I can see on the commits mailing lists,
except for the %(part)s part that I haven't seen so far: probably we do not
split large emails.

I did some tests on my local machine, and with the patched version of svnmailer,
it does extract correctly the first line of the log message for all the commits
that I have looked at.

Sebastian
--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation