[cfe-dev] RFC: put commit messages in *-commits subject lines?

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 10:07:44 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Sebastian Pop <spop at codeaurora.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sebastian Pop wrote:
>> Chris Lattner wrote:
>> > I'm in favor of it.  Of course, the truly awesomest thing would be something like:
>> >
>> >     [cfe-commits] r167788 - [lib/Analysis] Fix bad CFG construction bug when handling C++ 'try' statements.
>>
>> commit_subject_template = %(prefix)s r%(revision)s - %(log)s
>
> I just realized that this line does not match Chris' subject line as it doesn't
> print the directories touched by the patch. Please use the following instead:
>
> commit_subject_template = %(prefix)s r%(revision)s - [%(dirs)s] %(log)s

For what it's worth, (I think) Chris' suggestion of including the
directories was about including them "smart"ly by removing conceptual
duplicates (lib/foo + include/foo + test/foo) and generally giving a
brief sense of what a change is touching. If the change you have adds
the full (repo-relative) path all the directories without any smart
deduplication then I suspect it's going to easily push the log
description off most mail readers (especially mobile) & reduce the
value of this change.

I suspect we'll want to just stick with revision + log for now.

What's the prefix? There was some discussion of dropping the
[cfe-commits] & similar prefixes. Can that be done? Do we need to get
more buy-in from mailing list users to make sure this won't break
their mail rules (there are other ways to identify mailing list mail
other than the prefix, but I'm just checking).

Do you have some examples of what the format you're suggesting would
look like for various real-world commits?