[cfe-dev] ASTs of multiple files - C API clang

don hinton hintonda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 16:32:44 PDT 2012

Hi Socrates:

On Aug 10, 2012, at 12:23, Socrates Katsoulacos <socrates.katsoulacos11 at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am building a program in which I need to have the ASTs of multiple source files.

Do you mean multiple cpp files or a single cpp file that includes multiple headers?  Your example below is the later.  If that's all you want to do, just create the tu for the cpp file and pass the necessary include file paths to pick up the included files via argc/argv.  Please note that PCH's are an optimization, not a requirement.

However, if you truly want to deal with multiple cpp files, i.e., multiple translation units, then process the set of files as mentioned above and place the globals on a symbol table you create for that purpose (in your visitor). Saving and disposing of each tu as you go.

Then you can reload the tu files one at a time and resolve the inter-tu definitions based on the symbol table.

I've written a doxygen-like tool based on libclang that does this.   If you're interested, I'd be happy to share.  All it currently does is spit out an html file (iterating over the tokens) for each source file, including the appropriate cross tu links.

I plan to contribute it once it's complete.

hth...
don