[cfe-dev] Building iOS Apps on Linux, Windows and PowerPC Mac OS X

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Mon Apr 30 04:40:16 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:31 AM, Marc J. Driftmeyer <mjd at reanimality.com> wrote:
> I may be off on this one, but I see the GPLv3 being a stickling point for
> even testing LLVM/Clang against.

Thanks for pointing that out.

It is VITALLY important that I know why.  Even if you don't actually
know, giving me the slightest clue as to how I may determine that for
myself would go a long ways towards getting me where I need to be.

As I said, I find the text of the GPLv3 itself to be *completely*
impenetrable.  So I'm not asking you to cite the specific clause that
causes the problem.  Perhaps you found a discussion of this on a list,
website or message board somewhere.

My specific reason for desiring GPLv3 over GPLv2 is to prevent
"Tivoization", that is, the loading of binaries of my App on operating
systems in such a way that prevents some other developer from loading
his own derivative work of my App on that same OS.

The Tivo Digital Video Record runs - or at least ran - on Linux.  My
understanding is that they did release whatever source was required by
the various licenses, but cryptographic means were employed to prevent
one from loading one's own binaries on one's own Tivo.

I'm thinking of the iOS specifically.  This decision was a long time
coming, because I've been Bleeding In Six Colors for quite a lot
longer than most people who presently work for Apple, and many of my
best friends are Apple employees.

I'm not trying to bring down the Apple company; I wish to encourage it
to mend the errors of its ways.

The GPLv3 addresses quite a lot more than Tivoization.  If you know of
any other that prevents Tivoization but does not have the MANY
problems of the GPLv3, I Am All Ears.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation