[cfe-dev] Multi core processor and clang

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Fri Sep 30 14:57:45 PDT 2011

  On 10/ 1/11 04:12 AM, Carl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm starting clang 2.9 to compile C code generated by vala.
> On Windows.
> So far, everything works fine, the compilation is fast, I love the
> enhanced error messages.
> Well I don't miss gcc one bit.
>
> Anyway, I have a question about clang and the use of the multicore
> processor.
> Is there a way (ie a command line) to take full advantage our
> multicore processors ?
>
> I know that there is no way to do so with just gcc (we are supposed to
> give the number of jobs to make : /make/ -j 3 ).
make doesn't care what compiler is being used.  If -j3 works for gcc
then it should work for clang or any other compiler for that matter.
I'll assume you're using the cmake files to generate Makefiles - in
which case they dependency resolution should be good and not cause
problems with a parallel build