[cfe-dev] Multi core processor and clang

Carl name.is.carl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 14:12:59 PDT 2011

Hello,

I'm starting clang 2.9 to compile C code generated by vala.
On Windows.
So far, everything works fine, the compilation is fast, I love the enhanced
error messages.
Well I don't miss gcc one bit.

Anyway, I have a question about clang and the use of the multicore
processor.
Is there a way (ie a command line) to take full advantage our multicore
processors ?

I know that there is no way to do so with just gcc (we are supposed to give
the number of jobs to make : *make* -j 3 ).

The trouble is if your build system doesn't use make, your toasted (or you
have to decompose your compilation into tasks).
So is there any magic "-j" command line to clang ?
(Or any another workaround not involving make)

Cheers,
Carl.

PS : I know about the whole Unix philosophy, "do a simple task and do it
well"