[cfe-dev] Explicit template instantiation, function template specialization, and diagnoses...

Larisse Voufo lvoufo at cs.indiana.edu
Mon May 9 06:13:01 PDT 2011

The current code base, under Sema::ActOnExplicitInstantiation and
Sema::CheckFunctionTemplateSpecialization (in SemaTemplate.cpp), looses
information about why a given template argument deduction fails.
I need that to not be the case for better diagnoses in concepts-enabled
programs.
I was wondering what the best approach would be at the moment, depending on
when the Clang community intends to review that part of the implementation.
Should I go ahead and modify my off-main-branch concepts implementation, or
should I make the change directly into clang's main branch, or
should I simply give it a moment until that part is reviewed? If so, about
how long should I wait.

I find it'd be more beneficial, if I were to do it myself, if I made the
changes as globally as possible rather than just within my concepts
implementation.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
-- Larisse.