[cfe-dev] Building clang outside of LLVM (with CMake)

Chris Pick llvm at chrispick.com
Mon Feb 21 12:09:55 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
> Chris Pick <llvm at chrispick.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
>> Now I'd like to use the
>> official git mirrors so I will be able to easily push/pull from the
>> rest of the LLVM/clang ecosystem in the future without having to rely
>> on any third party repositories.
>
> Good luck with that :-/ You know that committing a git revision to svn
> means rebasing, which in turn means that the revision adquires a new
> identity, and then everyone who had that revision gets confused, right?
> (Just an observation, let's not start a discussion about combined
> git/svn development.)

Oh yes, I think you're right to urge caution; I'm familiar with
git-svn and even more so with its shortcomings.  Once down this road,
it's more pleasant to use an official git mirror.

> [snip]
>
>> I'd appreciate any feedback, especially any thoughts on whether this
>> sound safe and valid.  If my approach makes sense, hopefully something
>> similar to my patch could be applied to the clang repo (something
>> better than commenting out the build directory check would probably be
>> required, but I didn't come up with anything while I was trying to get
>> this to work).
>
> Every new supported build setup introduces a large cost on terms of
> maintenance. Sorry, but I don't think that your case justifies that
> work.
>
> [snip]

I understand your point.  I also see the effort you and the other
maintainers put into keeping the build systems working smoothly and
can appreciate this is no trivial task, but this is disheartening to
hear.

I'm hoping I can come up with a small diff that will not introduce
another build configuration that would have to be supoprted and
maintained but would give me enough flexibility to meet the needs of
my configuration.  To that end I've attached a revised patch that
re-enables the build directory check.

I'm certainly not expecting my use-case to be officially supported or
maintined, I'm happy to provide patches if it stops working in the
future.

-Chris