[cfe-dev] Building clang outside of LLVM (with CMake)

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Feb 21 06:14:05 PST 2011

Chris Pick <llvm at chrispick.com> writes:

[snip]
> Now I'd like to use the
> official git mirrors so I will be able to easily push/pull from the
> rest of the LLVM/clang ecosystem in the future without having to rely
> on any third party repositories.

Good luck with that :-/ You know that committing a git revision to svn
means rebasing, which in turn means that the revision adquires a new
identity, and then everyone who had that revision gets confused, right?
(Just an observation, let's not start a discussion about combined
git/svn development.)

[snip]

> I'd appreciate any feedback, especially any thoughts on whether this
> sound safe and valid.  If my approach makes sense, hopefully something
> similar to my patch could be applied to the clang repo (something
> better than commenting out the build directory check would probably be
> required, but I didn't come up with anything while I was trying to get
> this to work).

Every new supported build setup introduces a large cost on terms of
maintenance. Sorry, but I don't think that your case justifies that
work.

[snip]