[cfe-dev] Run tests after building with CMake and Xcode?

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Tue Sep 28 20:01:39 PDT 2010

  On 9/28/2010 8:27 PM, Ryan Gerleve wrote:
> Also, I'm curious as to the need for maintaining two
> different build procedures, especially since CMake
> can generate makefiles as well as project files. Are
> there plans to migrate to a single system exclusively
> in the future? If not, what's the advantage to maintaing
> both of them?
The autoconf'ed one is the one that was developed first.  Currently,
CMake is used to cover systems where autoconf's shell scripts don't work
(in particular, MSVC).

I can't say anything regarding official plans, and do not care to
speculate about advantages as seen by the main project developers.
While I will make a point of exercising both autoconf and CMake build
systems if/when I go active again (which may be never), I will note that
CMake currently ships broken for non-MSYS MingW32 systems that use the
MingW32-provided bash, and locally built make.  This happens to include
my preferred development environment, so I can't use stock CMake to
build anything in my preferred development environment.

I did develop a workaround for my case, but I'd have to intentionally
map how the current CMake projects work before proposing how to upstream
it into CMake.  [Basically, my system autodetects as MSYS due to bash/sh
being in my path, but since it's really MingW32 it chokes on the MSYS
paths.  Forcing generation of MingW32 fails because of an explicit
rejection of MingW32-provided sh in the path.  So I need yet another
project type, as removing the sh-rejector from the stock MingW32 project
generator is not a real option.]

Kenneth