[cfe-dev] Toolset for clang in Windows under Boost

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Thu Sep 23 09:27:27 PDT 2010

On 9/23/2010 10:16 AM, Douglas Gregor wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2010, at 8:27 PM, Edward Diener wrote:

>>> You don't have to. But it sets its default header search paths depending
>>> on the compiler you use to compile it,
>>
>> That is a real surprise. I guess it was done to make things easier for
>> the end-user. I found nothing about this in the documentation.
>

> It wouldn't be a surprise if Clang "just worked" on Visual Studio's headers. Clang would emulate the compiler you use, as a drop-in replacement.
>
> However,  Windows support in general is a work-in-progress, requiring a number of Microsoft-specific extensions and emulating a number of Microsoft bugs and quirks. People are working on it, but it's not going to work seamlessly on Windows for quite a while.

OK, I will wait to try out clang on Windows but will use it on Linux
instead. I do understand that VC++'s header files have lots of Microsoft
extensions and it is unreasonable to assume that clang should easily
support those extensions since its primary focus is in supporting the C
and C++ standards. Thanks !