[cfe-dev] Toolset for clang in Windows under Boost

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Thu Sep 23 07:16:02 PDT 2010

On Sep 22, 2010, at 8:27 PM, Edward Diener wrote:

> On 9/22/2010 9:55 PM, Sebastian Redl wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 22, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>>>
>>> Then I will use the MingW headers when compiling clang. But I can not
>>> believe that I would have had to build clang with MingW to do that.
>>
>> You don't have to. But it sets its default header search paths depending
>> on the compiler you use to compile it,
>
> That is a real surprise. I guess it was done to make things easier for
> the end-user. I found nothing about this in the documentation.

It wouldn't be a surprise if Clang "just worked" on Visual Studio's headers. Clang would emulate the compiler you use, as a drop-in replacement.

However,  Windows support in general is a work-in-progress, requiring a number of Microsoft-specific extensions and emulating a number of Microsoft bugs and quirks. People are working on it, but it's not going to work seamlessly on Windows for quite a while.

	- Doug