[cfe-dev] Benchmarking a distributed version of clang

Mike Miller michael.g.miller at gmail.com
Tue May 11 10:51:00 PDT 2010

Me and my partner(Joshua) are nearing the point of being able to test our
distributed extensions to clang. However, we need a good program to
benchmark compilation! On #llvm, some people suggested we compile clang
itself.

I'm not well-versed in Makefiles, and I'm not sure if this would be easy to
do, given how we've structured our compiler, so I was wondering if someone
here could shed some light on how we might do some benchmarking.

The way we've structured our distribute option is that the user invokes
"clang -cc1 -distribute <other args> myFile.c -o myOutputFile.o". Regardless
of what args the user provides, we always output an object file, and do no
linking whatsoever(we use an EmitObjAction). We also only support 1 input
file at a time. (We obey all other args as you normally would). Given these
limitations, would it be easy to get clang building in this manner? If not,
is there another large program anyone can recommend which we could benchmark
compilation with?

(As an aside, we realize that long-term we need a a true drop-in replacement
for clang, but given our impending deadline, we need to get some results
with our code as is.)

Thanks!
Mike