[cfe-dev] Clang for ARM Cortex A9

David Chisnall theraven at sucs.org
Tue Jun 29 04:24:16 PDT 2010

On 29 Jun 2010, at 12:11, Kiran V wrote:

> Hi,
> Can I know why binutils is comming into picture. I will give the detailed
> description of what we have done:

When you compile with the clang driver, you have several components:

1) clang compiles [Objective-]C[++] code to LLVM IR
2) LLVM optimises this code and converts it to assembly (except on the platforms which have native code generation working)
3) as (from binutils) assembles the assembly into a .o file.
4) ld (from binutils) links these .o files into an executable or shared library.

In this specific case, as Anton said, LLVM is producing the vcvt (vector convert) instruction in the assembly and as is generating the wrong binary encoding of this instruction in the .o.

David