[cfe-dev] inlined&multi-thread CFG generation?

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Fri Sep 11 17:47:29 PDT 2009

Hi Zhunan,

I think these kind of parallel execution semantics are certainly worth
reasoning about in the static analysis engine, but I don't think they
belong in the CFG itself.  The CFG is meant to capture the basic
control-flow as exhibited by statements and expressions.  Other forms
of control flow, such as using threads, blocks (a form of closures for
C), etc., should be layered on top of the CFG abstraction.

For example, GRExprEngine, the path-sensitive analysis engine,
generates a graph that represents the possible paths through a
function.  This graph layers itself on top of the CFG abstraction, but
has far more precise control-flow information than what the CFG itself
provides.  This layering done by using the "ProgramPoint" class to
represent a location within a function, which can reference an
individual statement or a basic block in the CFG.  We are working on
adding support for having that graph trace paths across function call
boundaries, which means we would reference locations in multiple CFGs,
and we would possibly add call-and-return edges to capture context-
sensitivity of function calls.

My thought is that modeling parallel programming semantics, e.g.,
where control-flow is asynchronous, really needs to be modeled with a
similar layered abstraction.  For example, since a context-switch
between threads can happen at essentially any time, how would one
model such "control-flow" between threads?  Similarly, since threads
can really be executing concurrently, how would the CFG capture
parallel execution at multiple locations in the code?  For me the
answer is that the CFG is not designed for this purpose, and it serves
as a foundational building block for these other kinds of reasoning.

So in summary, I think concurrency and interprocedural analysis is
something that can be modeled in the analyzer, but it shouldn't be
done in the base CFG data structure itself.  The CFG serves as a
primitive upon which such analyses can be layered.

Ted

On Sep 11, 2009, at 5:32 PM, zhunan wrote:

> Hi,Ted
>
> About the second question,I would like to express it by a example:
>
> suppose I have the following src
> for (i=0;i<2;i++)
> 	{
> 		pthread_attr_init (&tattr[i]);
> 		pthread_attr_getschedparam (&tattr[i], &param[i]);
> 		param[i].sched_priority = i+20;
> 		pthread_attr_setschedparam (&tattr[i], &param[i]);
>
> 		pthread_create(&hThread[i],&tattr[i],thread_func,(void *)&i);
> 	}

> the current CFG generation strategy just treats it as the normal
> behaviour of calling a function in a loop, in fact,when we treat with
> POSIX Multi-thread or other multi-thread(e.g. OpenMP) programming
> environment,we would like to see a CFG which describes exactly that
> two
> thread are executing concurrently but not a normal function call, so
> that we can get a CFG which shows that charactor of a "parallel
> program".
>
> Thank you for considering it!
>
> ZhuNan
> 2009.9.12
>
> 在 2009-09-11五的 09:11 -0700,Ted Kremenek写道:
>> On Sep 10, 2009, at 7:58 PM, zhunan wrote:
>>
>>> 1.I try to make use of clang-cc's function on CFG generation,I found
>>> that it generates CFGs for each function seperately,but not
>>> combining
>>> them together to be a complete CFG for the whole program
>>>
>>> clang-cc has such a function?
>>
>> Hi Zhunan,
>>
>> There are no plans to create a whole program CFG (or at least convert
>> the current CFG implementation to being a whole program CFG,
>> something
>> of that nature could certainly be built on top of it).  The
>> infrastructure for whole program analysis will be implemented by
>> layering other supporting data structures on top of CFGs.  Please see
>> my other email for more explanation behind this decision.
>>
>>> 2.clang-cc can't not regconize a program written by C+some multi-
>>> thread
>>> library(e.g. pthread),it means that, the generated CFG can't reflect