[cfe-dev] AST processing toolbox

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri Jun 12 13:40:35 PDT 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Ted Kremenek wrote:
>> but I notice that both the libraries you mention are part of TR1, so
>> it
>> might be better to use the TR1 names for those components instead?
>
> In general, we would prefer to not suck in pieces of external
> libraries unless they significantly add value to the development of
> LLVM/Clang.  This is both for portability as well as maintainability.
> FWIW, the discussion on adding pieces of Boost to LLVM/Clang has been
> discussed before, and unless there is a compelling need to pull in a
> specific piece of Boost it is something we won't do for the reasons
> I've given.  This has nothing to do with Boost per se; it's really
> about keeping the codebase simple and free of unneeded, extraneous
> dependencies on other libraries.

Right.  Another option is to pull in and "llvm-ize" libraries that are
really useful.  For example, llvm/ADT/OwningPtr.h is a simple smart
pointer that is very similar to boost and other standard libraries.

There are several goals here, but the goal is to keep the code simple,
self contained, and portable across a wide variety of compilers.  TR1
may be getting widespread enough that it might be reasonable to start
depending on it.

-Chris