[cfe-dev] Results of the FreeBSD Ports build with CC=clang

Erik Cederstrand erik at cederstrand.dk
Wed Jun 3 11:45:40 PDT 2009

On Tue Jun 2 12:03:30 CDT 2009, Chris Lattner wrote:
 > On Jun 2, 2009, at 12:23 AM, Eli Friedman wrote:
 > > -O4: You could patch the packages, although I'm slightly hesitant
 > > suggest that... anyone have any better suggestions?
 >
 > This is tricky. I wonder if there is some magic that the clang driver
 > can do for -O4 when the linker doesn't support LTO?

Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't it be better to get LTO to work on
FreeBSD? I realize this may be a FreeBSD-specific question, and I'll
move the discussion there if needed. If I understand correctly:

* the linker needs to know about and be able to use libLTO
* Clang currently uses GNU ld on FreeBSD
* GNU ld rules out -O4 since it doesn't support LTO

Would llvm-ld be sufficient as a linker, or is it missing other
features needed by FreeBSD? What would it take to get LTO support on
FreeBSD?

Kind regards,
Erik