[cfe-dev] Patch to allow comment translators implementation

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Tue Dec 29 12:08:35 PST 2009

On Dec 26, 2009, at 7:58 AM, Abramo Bagnara wrote:

> This small patch change comments handler in a simple way to permit to
> implement quite easily comment translators.
>
> Once applied this patch, a CommentHandler is allowed to build a first
> token to be returned to Lexer and to push a TokenStream for the others,
> then allowing generic comment -> tokens transformer.
>
> This can be useful to transform comment shaped program annotation that
> should be translated to source code and also other interesting applications.

This is an interesting approach.  The only major concern I have is that this only allows you to translate comments into exactly one token.  In the case of openmp pragmas (for example) this doesn't seem rich enough.  A different approach would be to allow the handler to push an arbitrary number of tokens into the parser's lookahead buffer.  Would this work for what you're trying to do?

-Chris