[cfe-dev] Static analysis and Adium

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Tue Jul 8 08:36:35 PDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 11:54 PM, Holger Schurig wrote:

>> If anyone is interested in making the tool's output more
>> polished, patches are certainly welcome.  I don't pretend to
>> be an HTML guru.
>
> I'm not actually sure if the analysis tool should produce HTML at
> all. Maybe you simply produce text or XML as output. People can
> than write their own tools to make a nice web page out of that,
> if they prefer. Or if they prefer to use "grep", it would be OK
> then, too :-)
>
> This would allow you to focus on analysis (where you're good at)
> and let others do the HTML things, if they need it.

The HTML output is generated by HTMLDiagnostics, a subclass of
PathDiagnosticClient that appears in the Driver.  The analysis engine
just knows that it is interacting with a PathDiagnosticClient, and has
no knowledge that the reports are being blasted to HTML.  This
decoupling between presentation of bug reports and the generation of
bug reports is intentional so that bug reports can be displayed or
processed in multiple ways.

If there is interest in doing XML or text output, all one would need
to do is implement a new PathDiagnosticClient (and put it in the
Driver).

Patches welcome!

Ted